 Star Wars / 2040
Re: Building exhaustion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 04:25:52 GMT

Regarding Building exhaustion.  Recently finished off the top of my Millennium
Falcon model and that took a tole on me.  Was up till 4:30 am working on it and
finally had to go to sleep.  Woke up two hours later and finished it.  For
the circular saucer section, I originally calculated three studs per plate
rise on the top surface, but found that too shallow and rebuilt it to two studs
per slope.  That combined with the the circular cross section made for a lot of
building with small plates.  Complicating the problem were several hinged
access panels I've built in to access the rooms inside. Each of the panels
hinges open.  Hinged panels with a curved top are not exactly easy to model,
but I'm glad I did it.

Snapped the first few pictures tonight and will post them after they are
developed (1 week).

Still need to finish of the bottom of the model, add a lower quad laser cannon
gunners room (there is already an upper one), and add some more detail on the
interior.

So over the past 8 weeks, I'm probably running close to 100 hours of building
time.  That's enough to tire a guy out.  A lot of that was developing a
workable cuncussion missle launcher which is fully integrated into the hull of
the Falcon.  Powered by a bungee cord, it works pretty good.  It holds five
missles and fires about five feet on the click of the firing button.  That's
what I like about it.  You can cock and load, and pull the 'trigger' to fire
when ever you want.

Ben

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.starwars, eric@nospam.thirteen.net (Lorbaat) writes:
[...] And I found that as I built the
sets- especially the Y-Wing/TIE and Podracer sets, I experienced a sort • of...
umm, Lego building exhaustion.  Now, I'll grant you, in both cases I was
putting together all the sets in one marathon building session... but this
still worries me.  Have the new sets caused some sort of... attention span
deterioration in me for building?  [...]

I just thought of another thing -- little sets almost never tire me out --
and neither do little within a big set.  What really exhausts my brain is
the large building instruction booklets -- because I have to compare each
step with the previous step to see what's changed and if I've missed
anything.
<snip>
--Todd