 Storage / 269
Re: Piece sorting (was: building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 16:41:15 GMT

lots of interesting ideas here  : )
  here is the system I developed recently and its works for me.
it goes thru a couple of stages. I prefer to sort by color first dumping the
need to sort legos into one of the  large boxes from the  5571 truck / dark
lords castle / Ninjas fortress and put the different colored pieces into the
cardboard "trays" that come with the smaller sets. once hte tray is full I
transfer those bricks to a 1/2 gallon size ziplock freezer bag( they are more
sturdy than the regular ones) once the colors are sorted, I then shift to sort
by shape mode, setting up three cardtables with one of the large lego boxes (
5571 truck for example) and place the yellow plastic from the smaller kits
trays all around it. this makes it easy to put shapes in groups. If i wind up
with too many of some shapes , they get moved into quart size ziplock freezer
bags for future further sorting, ie 1x1 ,1x2 ,1x3 etc. once that sorting is
done, I place each group of color /shape into a the appropiate sized ziplock
freezer bag. once all of one color is sorted, I then locate the plano 3700
tackle boxes with those colors soted in them( i like the semi transparent
nature of those boxes, easier to see whats in them when they are up on the
shelf. With those boxes set out , I can then make adjsutments to the plano
system to accomadate the new pieces. this is then repeated for each of the
colors. when finished the plano boxes are placed on a basic  freestanding  5
pine  shelf  that I got from Lowe's that will hold 24 planos on each shelf.
Currently there are about 115 planos on this shelf and when I am not sorting or
building  the card tables are folded and stored and the occupied space is
fairly small. I also use small wooden "tv" trayswith legs  during building as
they will hold two planos next to each other and then several others can be
stacked on them.  This works such that I can select  several planos from the
shelf that contain what i "expect" to need for the model. I am not sure this
would work for those folks that have "massive " quanities of one type of brick
but it works pretty well for me so far  : )
  let me know if you have any questions or want pictures and thanks again to
all those that have also shared their ideas
    John