 Storage / 255
Re: Piece sorting (was: building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 22:05:23 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jonathan Little writes:
How does everyone sort their pieces?
-Jonathan

I'm in the middle of changing from a color-based storage system to a
shape-based one.  I used to just separate small special pieces (tiles, windows,
minifig tools, etc) from the big one-color only bins (wthe single color looks
impressive).  Now, I'm ignoring color and sorting by shape in the following
categories:
  small 1x plates: 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 2x2 L-plate
  large 1x plates: 1x4 - 1x10
  2x plates
  large plates: 4x, 6x, wing plates
  small 1x bricks: 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x1x5, 1x2x5
  large 1x bricks: 1x4 - 1x16
  33 degree slopes
  45+ degree slopes
  inverted slopes
  tiles
  tires, wheels
  plates w/ wheel holders, airplane wheels
  & various other small categories, still to be defined
Right now, there is a huge pile in the LEGO room, covering much of the floor,
and the black, white, and gray bins have not been added to the pile yet!  When
I build, I try to sort a bit and use only pieces on the floor or in the color
bins, but it still hasn't progressed very far :(  (It is much easier to build
with the new sorting system, though :)
--Bram