 Storage / 258
Re: Piece sorting (was: building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 06:31:45 GMT

Kevin Wilson
Ideally, when I have a house and my dream
Lego Room, I will have one of those bins-on-brackets systems (probably
on a mobile shelving unit) so I can see and reach whatever I need right
away.

At the risk of sounding negative, these didn't work as well as I'd
hoped. Perhaps I couldn't get the right ones - what I got were
drawers/trays about 6-8" deep, 4" wide and about 3" high. They stacked
so I tried that. It worked after a fashion, but I decided that
they really needed to be transparent. two reasons: you end up facing
a big wall of them, and it gets dark really quickly if they're dark
coloured plastic; and if you can see thru them it's both easier to
mount them/stack them, and easier to see what's in the top/bottom ones
in the stack.

Alas, transparent ones are not to be found in NZ.

My ideal moved to a corner desk with a combination of stacked storage
like the bins system, and a tray system like the Technic boxes. But
even that's not ideal, so I'm still looking. Oh, and bigger bins of
stuff under the desk so I can reach down a little and grab a handful
of yellow 2xN bricks or yellow 1xN beams.

The big hassle for me is that with Technic I quite often need random
parts, in the sense that I might need any or all of the hundreds
of different parts from the collection, so it's not really practical
to make subsets more difficult to get. I found that out by putting
all my unpainted sloping parts into the box from the Technic Tow
Truck and keeping that to one side. So it ended up on top of one
set of trays, which just annoyed me.

My current ideal is a control console where the "desk" is octagonal
and goes right round me, and I have a swivel chair. It's also raked,
so there are trays flat, then at about 45 degrees, then vertical.
That way I get the maximum number of reachable parts, and can have
quite deep bins/drawers under the flat trays for high-volume parts.
Of course, getting into or out of it will be interesting... I suspect
one side will need to be the building area, and that will need to
hinge out of the way for the egress (The egress is a very fussy
creature :)

Moz