 Storage / 274
Re: Piece sorting (was: building exhaustion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 05:21:44 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner wrote
I think this is a very good idea.  If one sorts all the parts in various
bins, one quickly ends up with lots of boxes which are needed to make
anything at all.  And it is quite counter-productive to need to bring
out five large 8880 boxes (hi, Moz!) to be able to test out a simple
idea.

You mean you put your Lego away? How strange.

After I built my desks I basically never put the Lego away, just covered
it with a sheet to keep the worst of the dust off it. I still ended up
with a stack of assorted Lego boxes full of parts that didn't fit into
the desk filing system. The trouble was that at 2.4m long the desk was
too long, but 1m deep was about as far back as I wanted to reach. Hence
the desire for a "surround-Lego system".

I also usually had a mess of loose bits in the build area, and a couple
of boxes with half-built ideas in, so that I could pick them up when
new ideas occurred. That's why the extra supercars were so useful, it
let me have the teleporter/forklift half built up in several versions
while I tried to find the best solution.

Right now I'm trying to work out in my head how to build a compact
variable-pitch helecopter main rotor that works realistically (both
collective and cyclic pitch, in other words). I think using flex
tubes plus the sea king rotor head is a good start, but anything
smaller than 2x2 wheels running on that does not seem to work,
conceptually. And drawing it in LDraw is hard work without any
actual Lego to play with. Shipping 50-100kgs of Lego between
countries is not cheap either.

Moz