 Space / 16236
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:59:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Hamand writes:
Actually most Star Wars and other Science Fiction type vehicles use some
form of anti-gravity. Thus negating the the need for lifting surfaces like
wings. As for Star Wars stuff never sustaining itself in a proper atmosphere
. . . um, have you ever seen Star Wars?

Anti-gravity boosters? Well, I suppose that could be a reality too,
but depending on the atmosphere, It might need a different design if
it isn't to fly down like a rock. The Jedi Starship has a really odd
design, and I'm not sure how it could fly (unless it has a really *big*
anti-grav booster on the back) And yes, I have seen SW, but as I said before,
I'm not really a big fan of it. (too much syndication for me...)

No, but you could go to a store and look for Life On Mars which while
technically a Town sub-theme looks pretty Space-like to me. Or do you just
want a box logo that says Lego Space?

LOM is a town sub theme?! Geez, where did lego come up with that idea,
In my opinion, though, is is space, but with really odd designs...
have you taken a look at the color schemes? Hideous.
No, though, I'm not gonna complain perpetually about a box without the
word 'space'. All I want is to see an original, intelligent space system
series back on the store shelves (take a look at thr 94-96 product line
and you'll know what I mean.)

Whatever happened to sets like Spyrius and Unitron with distinct story lines?

What about town sets that don't snap together in two minutes, but instead
take some time to get together?

And where did those pirate sets ever sail off to?

What about ever large complicated castle sets with trap doors, knights and
the ever useful glow in the dark ghost and battering ram?

And has anyone seen any bulk sets or 3033 tubs on the store shelves?

Is lego trying to market imaginability, by only selling accessories like
roofing elements and plates online, because it's difficult for
alternative building to occur with bionicle or overspecialized sets.

Well, in their place, I see Bionicle, Jack Stone and Galidor. Aaagh!!!

Did you miss the bit where Jeff explained that the lack of toys on the
shelves is due to stores not replaceing their stock in anticipation of large
orders during the fall holiday season? I just think you hit some stores that
had been cleaned out. My local stores have all the available at retail
products including high end stuff like Yodas and RBRs.

Nah, I go to the store about every few months to take a look, and I wasn't
satisfied even during the holiday season. I knew beforehand that the local
TRU wasn't 'cleaned out', and All I saw on the shelves were some misfit HP sets,
a few of the new SW sets (not too shabby), and a bunch of no...Jack Stone!!!
Bionicle also took up about 90 percent of the display though, so I bought
Metal Gear Solid 2 and left that joint.

<Big Snip>

I guess it wouldn't be LUGNET if there wasn't an active thread running about
how Lego is going down the tubes. This is a really unconstructive attitude.

Well, perhaps this is deemed unconstructive to some because they either
don't 'get' whats going on here, or they themselves are afraid to speak out
against the lego company. Think of it this way, sometimes it is important to
get your opinion out no matter how much someone thinks it sucks. I think if
lego was to read up on how fans want intelligent design back in the models,
perhaps they would give their old 'sure fire' concepts a chance, and strike
gold. I think this pilgrimage into the bandwagon approach and action figures
is not only diminishing lego's products, but their reputation as well. Think
about it, the designs are going down the tubes (for SW and HP sets), and
they throw in a bunch of 'specialized or unique' pieces to get us hooked.
Why not
throw in a cool design and a bunch of intelligent functions instead? I say
to lego, rehire the designing staff!

Lego today probably sells more products than they ever have. This is good.
It guarentees survival. The survival of Lego is good.

Yes, but the survival of current fans of the system is much better. Repeat
customers keep a company moving. I'm guessing in the next few years that
bionicle will go 'out' and the next big fad will roll in. Just you wait.
Hey, the same thing happened to Pogs and Pokemon (and we thought that
nightmare would never end)

Don't let the seasonal ebb and tide of Lego product on your local shelves
balloon into a sky is falling attitude. (Man, could I mix a few more
metaphors in there?)

Hmm...I'm not a fatalist here, just a bit concerned...

Matt (Hamand not Hein)

PS - Have you ever noticed the tremendous number of people named Matt in
this country. There were 5 people named Matt in my senior English class in
high school.

Too many Matts these days. That's why I use my middle name (not here,
of course...)

<<_Matt Hein_>>

Oh yeah, and when does that next MOC come out?

check it: http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/~1112/