 Space / 16233
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:06:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:

I'm talking about atmospheric space designs. Have you ever given thought about
how a craft would fly if it was to land in an alien atmosphere? A bunch of
rockets wouldn't just cut it, thats why wings are necessary. Take a look at
a lego box and see what the crafts are based on. Most of them are land and
air based travelers, and the star wars stuff could never sustain itself in a
proper atmosphere. There *is* relevancy in space aerodynamics...

Actually most Star Wars and other Science Fiction type vehicles use some
form of anti-gravity. Thus negating the the need for lifting surfaces like
wings. As for Star Wars stuff never sustaining itself in a proper atmosphere
. . . um, have you ever seen Star Wars?

Er, those sets didn't have the same size production run as such sets as Star
Wars or Harry Potter, and have been out of production for quite a while, so of
course they're hard to find...

I'm speaking as in sets that match that category. You don't think I would
honestly go to the store and look for exploriens?

No, but you could go to a store and look for Life On Mars which while
technically a Town sub-theme looks pretty Space-like to me. Or do you just
want a box logo that says Lego Space?

Hey, I beg to differ here. HP, Alpha Team, Studios, LOM, Bulk Packs, Legends,
MOC, Sculptures are NOT available in stores. If you missed what I said before,
Lego should offer these for sales in STORES, not online. Most people I know
perfer doing things the old fashioned way by walking into a store, handing
money to the nice clerk, and walking away with some lego. In fact, about 90
percent of the people I know do that very thing. Maybe that's the target
market lego is missing.

Did you miss the bit where Jeff explained that the lack of toys on the
shelves is due to stores not replaceing their stock in anticipation of large
orders during the fall holiday season? I just think you hit some stores that
had been cleaned out. My local stores have all the available at retail
products including high end stuff like Yodas and RBRs.

<Big Snip>

I guess it wouldn't be LUGNET if there wasn't an active thread running about
how Lego is going down the tubes. This is a really unconstructive attitude.

Lego today probably sells more products than they ever have. This is good.
It guarentees survival. The survival of Lego is good.

Don't let the seasonal ebb and tide of Lego product on your local shelves
balloon into a sky is falling attitude. (Man, could I mix a few more
metaphors in there?)

Matt (Hamand not Hein)

PS - Have you ever noticed the tremendous number of people named Matt in
this country. There were 5 people named Matt in my senior English class in
high school.