 Space / 16230
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 19:35:41 GMT

"Michael Arrighi" <michael_arrighi55435@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes: • <big snip>
I completely agree with you on this.  Why must Lego constantly strive to
produce the latest fad-driven, licensed toys?  I don't buy the argument • that
kids of today wouldn't like the classic sets because they take too long to
build, they can't compete with computers, or (insert any other lame excuse
here).  In fact, my young cousins love my classic town sets, and have • asked
me repeatedly if I can obtain similar kits for themselves.  They don't • want
Jack Stone or Galidor.  I only wish Lego would see this for itself...

There was a time when TLC _defined_ what the latest fad was - Pirates were a
huge hit, but I don't remember any "Pirate fad" floating around during the
early 90's.  Let's see: curduroy pants, flannel shirts, alternative music...
nope, no eye patches, hook hands, or wooden legs that I can remember.

I'd like to see TLC produce several classic style 'system' sets from the
town, space, castle, and pirate themes and sell them via retail; I'm • willing
to bet most kids WOULD like (and ultimately buy) a ton more of these type • of
kits than Lego believes.

<more snip>

I actually think they will.  There will have to be a "Back to the Roots"
movement at TLC sooner or later.  I had a recent family party with tons of
younger cousins and they absolutely loved my classic collection (though one
of them told me I was like 90 years old after I kept saying, things like,
"oh that's from the early eighties, that was before you were born...").
These kids know what's out there and I think sooner or later, TLC will
figure it out.  I wouldn't be surprised if they completely relaunched the
classic space lines.  It's been so long that they would appear to be
something fresh and new to the younger generation of today.  I think they
must know that if they re-released the Pirate theme, for instance, kids
would go crazy for them, but it's just a little too soon.  Bionicle was a
smart move and so was Star Wars, but I really do think they'll have to get
back to their roots sooner or later.  Or else one day, someone there will
ask, "hey, where did all the pieces go?  Are we Lego anymore?"

            -- Tom