 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9199
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:08:27 GMT

as have I. and I HAVE seen it fail.  why do you think I have to install error checking to
make sure I GOT a message.

'Cause you're not doing it right?  I've never used any kind of protocol or error
checking and I've used this in all of my multi RCX robots (and no comments about
the last one...messaging was not the problem)

I've done some searching as well.  turns out Derek was right. this game is a proven first
player wins game.

True, but, I read that the guy had an opening book of 60,000 moves requiring
approx 1mb. Guess what nobody's going to be able to implement.

end result is that whoever can hire the best coder wins.  And since bruce and Calum have
access to a STAFF of coders i'd say this game will come down to which team is better:

Team Bell Fleet vs RBC Financial-Four

This from the greatest programming mind amongst us..."It is a very clever
strategy IMHO, and I applaud Chris for thinking of it."

Does anyone have a guess as to how long it will take to make 1 move (scan,
decision logic, x/y move and drop, signal completion).

My guess is that we'd be luck to perform all that in 30-45 seconds (which
implies very little logic and probably only analyzing the current state of the
board).

If we say 30 seconds x 30 moves (both of which seem optimistic) thats a 15
minute game. Somebody wake-me up when its over.

Bruce