 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9213
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:23:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ralph Hempel wrote:

But what if we only scan for new pieces? Our bot should be smart enough
to know what the board looked like on the last move, so it should
be trivial to find the ONE piece the opponent placed, right?

Not true.  This assumes that the opponent (or even YOUR last move) was
successful.  What if the gantry gets misaligned and a piece drops to the floor?
You should check for this.  Unless of course a rule is created to make you
automatically lose the game if you drop a piece.

That and a bunch of other strategy altering rules will surely be added 1 week
before the competition :)

Mario