 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9155
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:56:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Assuming this game has been "solved", and it is possible for one to alway win,
it seems like more than one game must be played, between "Competitors"

These games may take some time, so it may be good to have more than one going on
at the same time.

Sure.  That does make sense.  Maybe two at a time, four at a time.

That could make any type of RCX messaging a problem.  And, given the "opponent
robot could be on left/right" issue, the "Axle/Hole" solution may not work too
well.

Well, you can always accept pokes from the left side, and give pokes from the
right side.

I like the idea of using up one sensor port, and one motor port to communicate.

Yeah, but should be mechanically isolated?  Iain says it may be physically
dangerous if someone misprograms their RCX.

This way, I believe an opponent robot could be replaced with a human and a touch
sensor.  (good for testing)  Also, it would be possible to insert a
"judge/turn-timer" RCX in-line between opponents.  (see below)

Each match should be two games, with each robot having one turn to go first.
The robot that wins the most games (1 or 2) is the winner.  (this is where it
gets messy) If the score is tied after two games, the robot with the fastest
average move time, will be declared the winner.

Requires some extra work for the arbitrating RCX...but that also solves the
deterministic problem (I think that's the word for it...or is it
non-stochastic?--one where the solution is always known).

Calum