 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9142
9141  |  9143
Subject:
Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:33:24 GMT

Speaking from a event coordination perspective, I think there's a number of
issues we need to decide on before posting rules:

a) Mechanical Interface for "Your Turn".  I don't think it can be as crude as
Chris suggests.  I'm thinking it should be poking an axle through a predefined
hole OR shorting a motor output into a sensor in.

b) Model of game board.  There appears to be at least TWO models of Connect Four
board-a new one which is all blue with yellow and red chips, and the old one,
blue frame, yellow board, red and blue chips.  We need to decide on
one--probably the one with easiest physical fit and widest differentiation in
colour readings.

c) Setup for holding the Connect Four board up.  Should the board actually sit
on a separate baseplate with its own mounting hardware and predfined points to
attach to it and the holder?

d) Common attach points/airspace.  Where are you supposed to be while the other
robot is?  Where on the board are you allowed to grasp?

e) Every robot has to have a "I've won" signal.  It probably should be one of
the beep.

f) Qualifying:  Consistency is an issue.  I think every robot has to
consistently run at least one full game with no misdrops/misturns to qualify in.

g) Way to transport the unit onto the table easily.  Every player should have a
way to get onto a table without any grief easily.  So if we call Rob and Wayne
to play in competition, both Rob and Wayne have to be able to bring their
machines, plug into a gameboard and start within minutes.  For alignment, I
don't think they can bring plywood with them.

Calum