 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9196
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:08:43 GMT

IR works very nicely and consistently.

no it does not!

Of course it does...I've never seen it fail, and I've used it many many times in
all kinds of environments.

as have I. and I HAVE seen it fail.  why do you think I have to install error checking to
make sure I GOT a message.

and what happens IF/WHEN  I send a "your turn" signal, and you miss it?  then what?

who's to say you even sent it?  how can we tell?

The exact same situation could apply to a direct link.  In either case, I think
there is something to be said for a judge / time-keeping RCX.

agreed

clearly this game is not for the novice.  many of us have a few RCXen.  heck, if
your so worried about your precious sensor port and motor ports, then use a scout
to run the "your turn"(tm)  routine.

Huh??

i'm saying use up one of your "spare" rcx or even something as lowly as a scout, and send
it your IR, and it will turn that into the hand tap motion.

Sensor and motor ports are simply an unnecessary complication.  Why the heck do
you think Lego made the IR port  (to download programs only)

And, if you're not nice, I won't explain bit-mapping to you.

Bruce, I know bit mapping.  I just could never wrap my head around it in lego Script.
nor did I want to spend the time.

but thanks for the offer.

I've done a little reading about this game, and from what I gather (never having
played it myself) typical games go to 30 - 37 moves. If we allocate even 30 secs
per move, this is going to be as much fun as watching grass grow.

Bruce

I've done some searching as well.  turns out Derek was right. this game is a proven first
player wins game.  I'm not going to post links to all the "research" papers out their,
but they start say things like this:

If white has an odd threat and black has an even threat and the columns in which the
threats are (i.e. the empty square) are different then white can still win. Of
course no player must be able to connect four men except in the group in which he has the
odd/even threat stated above

end result is that whoever can hire the best coder wins.  And since bruce and Calum have
access to a STAFF of coders i'd say this game will come down to which team is better:

Team Bell Fleet vs RBC Financial-Four

heck the code(s) are posted for free in rec.connect.four

so do we need to find some other type of game?

Mancala, or  ???

Chris
"It is a very clever strategy IMHO, and I applaud Chris for thinking of it."  K.C.