 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9226
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:18:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Dan Boger wrote:

Speaking of fitting stuff into 20 RCXs, is there a limit in this game
for how many RCXs can be used?

I don't believe so!

If not, doesn't that kill the idea that we can put the RCXs fact to
face, to communicate with the opponent?  Dang.  I liked that idea better
than using up a sensor port.

You bring up a good point we haven't touched on yet.  If we do opt for an IR
"your turn" signal (which, from what I've been reading, is what we're steering
away from now), we'll have to assign numbers to people to use for their own
communications going back and forth.

For example, lets say we've got 2 robots competing.  Bruce and Wayne are up
against each other.  They both have 2 RCX's in their robots, and we have a
stipulation in the rules that you have to have enough wire length that you can
set your RCX's to either side of your robot (so you and your competitior's units
can face each other).  That way, all 4 RCX's can talk to each other.  But we'd
have to say "Okay, each person can use like, from 1-16. 17-32, etc.. for their
own internal communication, otherwise, things could (would!) get chaotic.

Even at that, I have a bad feeling it's not going to work.  :(  I've only ever
done one project that used more than 2 RCX's and it became a nightmare, really
fast.  Any time there was a condition where two units happened to throw out IR
at about the same time, I seem to recall there was a big jumble of missed
messages.

I don't know what to suggest.  I think it boils down to, isolate your RCX's in a
shielded whatever, use whatever codes you want between your units, but close a
circuit (via a touch or motor port from float-to-off, or whatever) to say "I'm
done my turn, now you go".

David Eaton's post exposes my fears.  The logic behind this sounds so hard.  I
don't understand how to program that kind of stuff...  I supose the best I could
ever hope to do is look at what's been placed, and calculate sort of a... hmm.
I guess "What's the best move THIS time?" kidna thing.  Look for "if I drop one
here, how many line up?" kinda thing for each of the 7 scenarios and then drop
it.  Crud.

    Iain