 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9149
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:26:43 GMT

That was the first thing I thought of--if you design your 'bot on a gantry
system, your hopper/dropper would have a home position to the "right" facing the
gameboard.  In this fashion, no matter which side you place the 'bot on, the
hopper/dropper for each 'bot would be on opposite ends of the playboard.

Excellent ideas guys.  This is gonna be slick!

As for signals,  well, I have no idea.

:)

I just had another thought - when we did Project X, we had scoring that included
time, as well as accuracy being factors in determining who won.  Does anyone
think that adding the time element to this might be benefecial?  Or might that
get too complicated?

My thought was this - if we just score on who wins the Connect 4 game, the focus
is more on the software.  Project X focused on software and hardware, because
the software had to be clever, and the machine had to be fast.

With the Connect 4 game, it could be sort of like chess - where those guys slap
the timer (however that works).  Have someone starting and stoping a stopwatch
every time a robot says "Clear, I'm done, your move" and factor that into the
score.  Then again, complex scoring methods have caused headaches in the past...

    Iain