 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9169
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:43:45 GMT

I just had another thought - when we did Project X, we had scoring that included
time, as well as accuracy being factors in determining who won.  Does anyone
think that adding the time element to this might be benefecial?  Or might that
get too complicated?

My thought was this - if we just score on who wins the Connect 4 game, the focus
is more on the software.  Project X focused on software and hardware, because
the software had to be clever, and the machine had to be fast.

This is my problem with this game as discussed so far.  There is a
minimum mechanical requirement to participate, but no advantage to going
beyond this.

If your robot can drop the chips into the slots, and read the board
you're set.  It's all down to coding from there.

Well, technically I think this is a mechanically more difficult game than
Project X (which I did with 1 RCX).  the XY gantry system for Project X comes
into play for the XY gantry for Project 4, but vertical movement of a gantry
system is inherently more difficult (gravity--sucks that) and then, on top of
which, you have to put the non-LEGO chips in the columns, interfacing your 'bot
with a non-LEGO board.  Yeah, this is a much more mechanically interesting
problem.

There is no incentive for innovative design in the actual robot.  Which
seems counter to the reasons we put on these games.

I disagree--look at the varitey of different types of robots for Project X and
the different methods for moving/placing.  There were many ganty entries, but
all were different from one another.

So this game really becomes a computer science challenge and not a
robotics challenge

Is both--program a 'bot to read and then evaluate the next move.  I'm cringing
about the lack of variables in NQC as well as the memory limitation already.

<snip>

Derek

Dave K