 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9170
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:43:41 GMT

Quoting Derek Raycraft <djr@rogers.com>:

I just had another thought - when we did Project X, we had scoring that • included
time, as well as accuracy being factors in determining who won.  Does • anyone
think that adding the time element to this might be benefecial?  Or might • that
get too complicated?

My thought was this - if we just score on who wins the Connect 4 game, the • focus
is more on the software.  Project X focused on software and hardware, • because
the software had to be clever, and the machine had to be fast.

This is my problem with this game as discussed so far.  There is a
minimum mechanical requirement to participate, but no advantage to going
beyond this.

If your robot can drop the chips into the slots, and read the board
you're set.  It's all down to coding from there.

There is no incentive for innovative design in the actual robot.  Which
seems counter to the reasons we put on these games.

So this game really becomes a computer science challenge and not a
robotics challenge

I agree that a timer increases incentive to build better robots - and it would
also speed up the game.

I may not be happy with the idea, but I agree. :)

Jennifer

ps: sorry guys, I know this is your club, but i'm subscribed now, and (for the
moment) am excited about playing connect 4.  I reserve the right for said
excitement to become frustration, anger, denial, acceptance and then lead to the
eventual unsubscription of me from this list. :)