 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9167
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:25:58 GMT

I just had another thought - when we did Project X, we had scoring that included
time, as well as accuracy being factors in determining who won.  Does anyone
think that adding the time element to this might be benefecial?  Or might that
get too complicated?

My thought was this - if we just score on who wins the Connect 4 game, the focus
is more on the software.  Project X focused on software and hardware, because
the software had to be clever, and the machine had to be fast.

This is my problem with this game as discussed so far.  There is a
minimum mechanical requirement to participate, but no advantage to going
beyond this.

If your robot can drop the chips into the slots, and read the board
you're set.  It's all down to coding from there.

There is no incentive for innovative design in the actual robot.  Which
seems counter to the reasons we put on these games.

So this game really becomes a computer science challenge and not a
robotics challenge

With the Connect 4 game, it could be sort of like chess - where those guys slap
the timer (however that works).  Have someone starting and stoping a stopwatch
every time a robot says "Clear, I'm done, your move" and factor that into the
score.  Then again, complex scoring methods have caused headaches in the past...

I like the idea of adding the Chess Clock to the game.  This will add
some mechanical challenge back into the game.

A Chess Clock has two count down timers.  They are set to the same value
and as I'm taking my turn my clock counts down and my opponents clock is
stopped when I finish my move I hit the clock and it stops my clock and
starts my opponents clock.  If you run out of time before your opponent
you loose.

This also limits game length.  If you set each robot to have 3 minutes
to play with, then the maximum possible length of the game is just under
6 minutes.

This makes it advantageous to have a quick board reading and chip
placing robot.  Saving time is important, because you'll loose if you
don't get 4 in a row before time runs out.  It also puts a time
management element into the software.  You have to judge how much time
you are willing to spend thinking about your move.  It also lets you
spend more time thinking about some moves, then say an arbitrary 1
minute per move rule, at the expense of having to make quicker moves
later on.

I would be willing to build a timer robot out of a control lab and a
laptop for this game.  It would plug in between the two robots and
detect the passing of turn and keep track of the time each robot is
spending on their move.

If we design our interface between the to robots correctly the use of
the timer could be optional, we could just drop in a pass through block
when the timer is not needed.  It could very easily be a passive device.

Derek