 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9175
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:06:28 GMT

a) Mechanical Interface for "Your Turn".  I don't think it can be as crude as
Chris suggests.  I'm thinking it should be poking an axle through a predefined
hole OR shorting a motor output into a sensor in.

I don't see hwy this has to be so complicated. Why not just hook up your homing
sensor to the other guys RCX? That way when you park your robot after moving,
the other guy knows its his turn. For a human interface, the robot could beep
when its done, and the human could press a touch sensor when they are done. I
really would like to avoid wasting a motor port for communication.

b) Model of game board.  There appears to be at least TWO models of Connect Four
board-a new one which is all blue with yellow and red chips, and the old one,
blue frame, yellow board, red and blue chips.  We need to decide on
one--probably the one with easiest physical fit and widest differentiation in
colour readings.

As was mentioned, colour differentiation is not necessary if you know where your
pieces are. The main issue is availability.

c) Setup for holding the Connect Four board up.  Should the board actually sit
on a separate baseplate with its own mounting hardware and predfined points to
attach to it and the holder?

I think this would be best. With the board on a baseplate (mounting would have
to be standardized), then the robots could use the baseplate for attachment and
locating.

d) Common attach points/airspace.  Where are you supposed to be while the other
robot is?

We just need to decide on a "parking spot" either left or right side. This means
when you are done, the entire top surface of the board has to be clear for the
other guy. But we will also have to define a "common airspace" around the top of
the board that can be occupied by either robot when it is making it move.

e) Every robot has to have a "I've won" signal.  It probably should be one of
the beep.

A minor issue.

f) Qualifying:  Consistency is an issue.  I think every robot has to
consistently run at least one full game with no misdrops/misturns to qualify in.

Good plan.

g) Way to transport the unit onto the table easily.

Yes, this is important. I assume most people would build their robot on large
baseplates.

Rob