 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9144
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:49:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:

a) Mechanical Interface for "Your Turn".  I don't think it can be as crude as
Chris suggests.  I'm thinking it should be poking an axle through a predefined
hole OR shorting a motor output into a sensor in.

Just curious (since I wasn't at the din din), was IR discussed/dropped?  What
was Chris' suggestion?

IR was, but there were a few issues:

a) Fluorescents causing trouble at Lillian.

b) Firmware/language differences.

c) Reliability of IR

d) Complexity of setting up tolerant protocol between two RCXes for IR.

e) You'll need some sort of tunnel between two RCXes.  That also means you need
to move the RCXes because sometimes it'll be on the right and other times it'll
be on the left.

Chris suggested it should be as simple as slapping someone's hand.  I reject
that because there's lots of latitude in interpreting that.  My belief is that
we need a strict standard.

Calum