 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9205
Re: Connect Four game issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:13:33 GMT

Hi Tobbe

Hellu!

Nice to see a fellow Technic head turn up here.

And the same to you!

What do you think of this idea.

You build a small bridge with a rail track over the top of the game board to a
standard. It has a row of 1 x 4 gear racks down either side and you robot is
like a small train. You scan the board by probing downwards with a long pole
decide what to do and then line up with the relevant column and drop your chip.

Hmmm... rtlToronto has these games to "show and tell" and thus learning new ways
to build stuff. Or at least that's what they claim :) This way it would be
pretty limited with all robots looking somewhat alike?

Personally I prefer mechanic solutions and problems (there is a reason my main
group on Lugnet is .technic and not .robotics) and it looks like most rtlToronto
folks do the same.

With a "train" approach there is only one axis to worry about, apart from
scanning the board. Sure, it would be simpler that way but not in the spirit of
things?

You then drive across the board into the other robot indicating the end of your
turn. You then reverse off the board to your waiting area. The other robot would
have been monitoring it's x axis rotation sensor, and when the other robot bumps
into it, it know's that it's now it's turn.

And what happens when the 'bot that's parking is moving slower then the one
that's taking it's turn? :)

Connect four with a twist of sumo? :)

This way the robot is self contained and no sensor ports are taken away from the
task.

You might have to add slots down the side to stop the robot tilting back as it's
bumped into but that could just be added to the standard.

I don't think they want to standardize too much, looks like some already are
afraid this wont give enough different designs.

So this is what happens when .technic is too slow, we "take over" other folks
newsgroups :)

I like lurking here though, gives some new stuff to think about and problems to
mentally solve. I'll probably never test any of my ideas though. It would be
cool to fly over to Toronto and join some time but alas my budget won't allow it
:(

/Tobbe