 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9198
Re: Connect 4 game objectives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:22:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Guerquin wrote:
Guys.... what is the point of this competition, as it stands now?
Is the challenge:
1. to build a robot that scans the Connect4 board, and is able to drop a puck
   (disc?) in a given column?  (mainly mechanical)
2. to code the winning strategy into the RCX(s) ?  (mainly programming)
3. to build a robot that will beat other robots at Connect4?
4. to build a robot that will beat humans at Connect4?
5. to build a robot that will PLAY Connect4 against humans/robots... as fast
   as possible (average time per move).... but not necessarily always win
   (using a simplfied, unperfect strategy)

Build a robot that can play Connect 4.  At minimum, you need 1, to gain
advantage you need either 2 and/or 5.  Item 4 is a nice to have for the
Library's sake.

Here's something I'd like to suggest:

We publish a basic algorithm somehow that uses "opportunistic" approaches (ie,
it'll stave off a one move from losing attack and it'll finish a four-sequence
with one single piece).  I think that's what the "oppotunistic" approach is.

That way people who can do hardware can at least have a very basic something for
software.  The software people can always use something better code wise.

People can pick their personal challenges:

I've looked at the code out there and it's tough, especially the alpha-beta
pruning ones.  Shoehorning it into an RCX is more programming than I'd like.

So I'd rather challenge myself to try building the hardware, that someone like
Iain could do in his sleep, and use the basic algorithm.  I've never entered a
contest to win anyways.

Mario might find the software trivial, but want to flex his hardware skills and
use his two sets to the limit.

Rob likes competition, he might ask his dad to code and do the hardware, pushing
on both fronts.

Someone might want to team up with another who does one thing better etc.

Calum