 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9217
Re: Connect 4 game objectives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:28:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Have two robots play each other twice.  One goes first each time.  If one robot
wins more than the other, he wins.  If they both win once, the robot with the
fastest average move time wins.

That means, if you intend to win the overall game, both the hardware and
software must work well.

I love it!  Makes perfect sense to me.

Also, for signaling when your turn is over, if IR is not used, it should be up
to the builders how to close the connection for a switch.  Some ways include:
using a motor output (float/brake) OR building a touch sensor into your robot.
EITHER would work the same.  That's up to the builder.

Gotcha.  I like that because it still lets you do whatever kind of robot you
want (I didn't like this home stuff because what if I want to use my home switch
for something else, blah blah blah?).

So, the question: To IR or not to IR?

I'd say let people use IR for their own communication, use the "close this
circuit however you like" for the "your turn" signal, and run 2 games per match,
each system geting a turn at starting first.

One thing I forgot to ask, just assumed - it's perfectly ok to have your robot
moving around the far (your) side of the board, while the other guy is doing his
thing, right?

IE, I can sit over here scaning the board while my oponent's robot is doing the
nasty up top dropin' chips, right?

I can do up a solid model of the Connect4 board and the work envelopes permited
for each player.  I supose this is more stuff to discuss on Friday at da din
din.

    Iain