 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9210
Re: Connect 4 game objectives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:39:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Guerquin wrote:
I mean, if two people are able to accomplish both (1) and (2) in a robot,
and they play each other, the robot who goes first will always win (assuming
perfect programming).  What's the point then?  How do we determine a winner?

Do people ever read my posts?

Don't answer that.

So, like I was trying to suggest here:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=9151

Have two robots play each other twice.  One goes first each time.  If one robot
wins more than the other, he wins.  If they both win once, the robot with the
fastest average move time wins.

That means, if you intend to win the overall game, both the hardware and
software must work well.

It could be set-up like a chess tournament where many games are going on at the
same time.  (that's where IR could be a problem)  If people want to look around
and see what's going on, they are free to watch any match.  And watching will be
about as exciting as viewing a chess tournament.

zzzz....

But this event is not for the spectators, IS IT?

Also, for signaling when your turn is over, if IR is not used, it should be up
to the builders how to close the connection for a switch.  Some ways include:
using a motor output (float/brake) OR building a touch sensor into your robot.
EITHER would work the same.  That's up to the builder.

Chris will use five RCXs with one set up to signal when his turn is over,
because he can't figure out how to mount a homey sensor.

Rob will have an RCX-less solution that closes a touch sensor when the arm
returns to the home position.

Both send the same signal.

So, the question: To IR or not to IR?