 Off-Topic / Debate / 23255
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:39:52 GMT

Upthread, I deliberately set up an extremely constrained example with my stated assumptions. You are somewhere you HAVE to be (you cannot leave) and it is unacceptable for the child to be throwing a tantrum. For whatever reason, be it your fault or not that the tantrum is going on, you have to get the tantrum to stop as fast as you can.

(maybe you’re in a situation where a terrorist has you hostage and you have been told get the kid to stop crying NOW or he will be shot... choose whatever scenario you like to validate my assumptions but they are the assumptions I used, you can’t walk out with the child and you can’t calmly reason at length with him, those are givens)

Given those postulates, no amount of reasoning is going to work. You can hold your hand over the childs mouth but that is doomed to fail. What you really need to do is get the attention of the child, and do it as fast as you can. A squirt of water or a slap is going to work better than any amount of talk talk.

Contrived situation? Sure. But not completely impossible.

It is improbable, but not impossible.

Surely, the key must then be that you should have the respect of your kids before you encounter your extreme life-or-death scenario? We don’t share the same culture or kids, but for me beating children is counter productive.

I occasionally see parents in supermarkets (etc) using the threat of violence to control their brood; those kids tend to be the most unruly I encounter. After all, violence begets violence:

NSPCC Director Mary Marsh said: “Children mainly learn from their parents, and if the lesson is that aggression pays, we should not be surprised if this behaviour is replicated. Parents need to show their children that hitting is not acceptable and the best way to do this is by example”…. psychologist Dr Penelope Leach concludes that “respected research tells us that the more children are hit, the more aggressive, disruptive and anti-social they are; the less completely they fulfil their cognitive potential and the more liable they are to emotional and behavioural problems, including criminal behaviours, in adolescence and adulthood.”

(Was Bush beaten as a child?)

Now I expect you’ll say that “reasonable chastisement” is fine and should not cause any problems. You may want to read this first and then this:

“The trouble with smacking is that while it punishes difficult behaviour, it does not show the child how you would like them to act.”

Scott A