 Off-Topic / Debate / 23209
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:55:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:

   Until someone can tell me exactly why public nudity is harmful, without quoting a religious text or bringing up a nebulous concept such as “decency” or “morality”, I assert that the public display of one’s body is well within one’s rights to do so.

Okay, here goes. First, WRT to religion, I get my values and morals from my religion and they will be reflected in my answer, but they are mine. It is never my intention to force my religion on somebody else. But because I derive my values from a religion doesn’t make them any less valid. Never once would I presume to question your justification for believing that public nudity is fine. It doesn’t really matter. But it sure seems to matter to the non-religious from where believers derive their beliefs!

Anyway, I believe that public nudity is a form of disrespect and therefore uncivil behavior. In order for a society to harmoniously exist, its citizens must respect each other. When I studied in Jerusalem in college, we’d frequent orthodox sections of the city, and we always made sure that we (especially the women) were dressed appropriately (ie mostly covered up) out of respect for the people who lived there. There wasn’t a law stating that we needed to; we just did it anyway, because we were sensitive to their practices and beliefs. Only if people were so calloused and rude to wear bikini tops, for example, around such areas would a law be necessary.

Public nudity is offensive to many Americans, and therefore those who would choose to engage in such behavior are acting in blatant disregard for the sensibilities of others around them. It is rude and uncivil, but these considerations seem to be out of vogue in today’s culture of narcissism and hedonism. What consenting adults choose to do in private to each other (I guess I draw the line at murder and cannibilism;-) is their own business, but what people do in public is another matter entirely. The whole question would be moot if people had respect and regard for one another. But obviously they don’t, and, like children, they must be told what they can and cannot do, because they are too uncivil to know better. So one can have the right to display one’s body in public (that is, no law forbidding it), but that doesn’t mean that one should display one’s body in public. Decency, respect, and civility in a person would prevent it.

JOHN