 Off-Topic / Debate / 23233
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 02:49:29 GMT

1.  I dispute the assertion that verbal instruction is generally sufficient to
steer a recalcitrant child away from ultimately self-damaging behavior

Agreed.  Once the child has become recalcitrant, simple, calm reason is often a
waste.  I like to look at the child's recalcitrance the same way I look at
crime, though, and try to prevent it rather than merely responding.  A healthy
dose of Good Parenting(TM) helps to minimize outbursts of unreason.  And
sometimes, parents' fault or not, the child will throw a fit.  I accord my
children as much respect as possible at those times and also take my
responsibility to protect others from their behavior seriously.  As I wrote, I
have bodily carried my children away from such situations.

2.  I dispute the assertion that physical intervention in a child's behavior is
never justified.

What Frank said.  But also, if not in the post immediately prior to these, then
in the second I wrote in the thread, I wrote something to that effect.

3.  I submit that your construction of the parent/child debt structure is at its
essence arbitrary and designed to yield maximum payoff (i.e., zero debt) for the
child and maximum debt (i.e., zero payoff) for the parent.

Yeah, I agree.  But only because any such delineated relationship would be so.
And any other construct causes lower quality relationships.  You could state
that neither part owes the other, but then children would die more, and more
importantly it runs totally counter to our cultural tradition -- and possibly
our biology.  You could also state that the child owes the parent, but my
personal aesthetic rejects this because if anything is evil, involuntary debt
is.

Welcome back to .debate, by the way.

Thanks!  It was a slow day waiting for tech support at work.

Chris