 Off-Topic / Debate / 23217
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:28:59 GMT

> But it's not neccessary.  The last time I advocated something like this
here,
Tom Stangl attacked me for raising whiney brats and John Neal mocked my • desire
to be a "best friend" to my kids.  Larry (and a few others who may or may • not
read this), you met my son last summer at the absolute worst of his • behavior (we
were foolish to neglect his sleep and nutritional needs).  We don't impose • our
will on him.  We negotiate and try to build consensus.  Are we failing?

I was there also. I was impressed with the visible results of your
parenting.

I had one eye opening experience when I babysat my nephew who was 4 or 5 at
the time. I had met my sister and mother in Boston for First Night and took
my nephew back to my sisters in the early evening while my sister and mother
stayed to celebrate. Somewhere along the way I offered to let him sleep on
the couch with me to get him willing to leave or something (the details are
foggy). When we got home, we played for a while and then it was bedtime. Of
course I had forgotten our little bargain. He was wailing up a storm for
close to an hour before I remembered our bargain. After I remembered, and
let him sleep on the couch with me, he calmed down instantly and was asleep
within 5 minutes.

Frank