 Off-Topic / Debate / 23250
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:29:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:

Not to you, but if a large number of people start to vomit at the
sight of your naked hairy body, dingleberries and all, then it's an
issue for society.  That said, if you can find enough people who
don't mind, then go ahead and behave that way amongst them.

But you're making a ridiculous comparison.  An action by a person that produces
a substantially unhealthy state for others is very different than one who does
not.  The occurrances of people reacting to the sight of a naked body, even a
grotesquely obese naked body covered in filth, with such _visceral_ behavior is
infinitesimal.  This is so true that I would be comfortable suggesting that one
who did react that way was suffering from substantial neuroses.

And yet, while no one is harmed by seeing another human's body -- "dingleberries
and all", you are perfectly comfortable legislating the amount of clothing I can
wear to keep this incredibly small pool of insane people comfortable.

We could liken this to the peanut allergy except for two main things.  First,
even those neurotics that you're protecting will not die from their mental
instability and gut reactions.  Second, peanut allergies can not be healed.  The
poor, sick people that you're describing can, and should, be helped.

And don't get me started on the marriage thing.  Marriage is NOT a
right.

Um, I think that every way you can look at it, you're wrong.
Article 16 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says you're
wrong.  But hey, we in the US don't give a stinking rat's turd what
the UN says, right?  OK, so how about the fact that marriage is a
right in English common law -- the very foundation of our judicial
system?  The normal limitation (and this applies for appropriate age
and other mental capacity issues) on this right is to those with
"sufficient understanding to deal in the common transactions of
life."

We're back to that matter of scope.  I think we agree with a lot of
what the UN has to say.  Just not everything.

Yeah, well what about common law?  Your assertion was that Marriage is not a
right.  By every account I can find, it is!  It was a right in the English
common law from which our systme of jurisprudence sprang.  It has been affirmed
as a right in American courts.  And the United Nations, in arguably the most
important declaration of human rights ever to be issued by the human specie, has
explicitly asserted marriage (between a man and a woman, incidentally) as a
right.

The benefit to society would be the affirmation that homosexuals are
people too.  It would help, in the long run, if not immediately, to
remove the strife experienced between homosexuals and the
close-minded bigots who oppose their equal access to the law.
Further, I reject that the governing of marriage and more
specifically, reproduction, actually does provide the benefit you
cite.  What do you think, that people would stop raising children
with we did away with the institution of marriage as an object of
governance?

I agree there would be a benefit for some, but I think overall there
would be a greater loss of benefits for others.  See my reply to
Orion.

I don't believe people would stop raising children, but I do think they
would do a much poorer job of it if you remove or substantially reduce
the support structures currently in place.  Do you think schools should
be completely funded by children and their parents?  It's a similar
issue.

The benefit in according to homosexuals the full rights of man, is not just a
benefit to a few.  It benefits all of society.  In your note to Orion, you
basically waved the nebulous scarecrow of dependent benefits as an expense.
First, am I understanding that you wish to deny basic human rights to a class of
people merely because it will cost you some trivial amount?  And finally, which
benefits?  You allude to food being taken from the mouths of babes, but to whom
is that food to be given under your scenario?  And finally, in a world where
group-marriage based intentional communites were the norm, children would be, in
my opinon, raised in a far superior cooperative, and dare I say it "It takes a
village" kind of way.

And yes, I do think, to the extent that we live in a free(ish) market society
and that such a society makes sense, schools should be funded through user fees
and philanthropy.

Chris