 Off-Topic / Debate / 23240
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:31:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

3.  I submit that your construction of the parent/child debt structure
is at its essence arbitrary and designed to yield maximum payoff (i.e.,
zero debt) for the child and maximum debt (i.e., zero payoff) for the
parent.

Yeah, I agree.  But only because any such delineated relationship would be so.

I went to bed thinking about this last night.  I think I've overstated my
agreement.  Do you think the notion of personal responsibility (as a valuable
more) is "at its essence arbitrary?"  I am led to my parent/child debt structure
by the twin beliefs that people should take responsibility for their actions
(having a child) and people can't be assigned debt without their complicit
informed consent.

Is it really arbitrary?  And if so, what (other than physical rules) is not?

Chris