 Off-Topic / Debate / 23230
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:01:39 GMT

1.  I dispute the assertion that verbal instruction is generally • sufficient to
steer a recalcitrant child away from ultimately self-damaging behavior

2.  I dispute the assertion that physical intervention in a child's • behavior is
never justified.

I don't think Chris has ever said that. Now I may be shortcutting Chris's
recent posts, but I know in the past that Chris has said that if a kid was
about to run in front of a car, he would grab the kid. He has also stated
that he would do the same if an adult was about to run in front of a car.

On the first point, I think Chris's contention is that there is no need to
prevent anyone from relatively minor harm. Now I guess if the person
continues to fail to learn from the verbal instruction and consequences,
then you have a person who is somehow disabled, and a different course of
action must be taken.

3.  I submit that your construction of the parent/child debt structure is • at its
essence arbitrary and designed to yield maximum payoff (i.e., zero debt) • for the
child and maximum debt (i.e., zero payoff) for the parent.

Hmm, I wanted to respond to this but I got distracted from this post, and
lost my place. Maybe I'll come back to this tomorrow...

Frank