 Off-Topic / Debate / 23227
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:58:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:

But who's "sensibilities" are we catering to?  Does this mean that if
one guy in the mall that I frequent thinks my girlfriend should wear a
full length dress instead of slacks then she should and if she doesn't
then she's "uncivilized" and "narcissistic"?  The argument nakedness
is wrong in that most people feel that covering up is the "right" thing
to do is fundmentally flawed.

We're catering to the sensibilities of the local culture and the laws
they enact.  If enough people in one society decide public sex acts
should be illegal then they should be free to create laws to that effect.
If you can convince enough people that public sex is wonderful, then
you should be able to get the law changed.  Until then, either obey it
or pay the consequences.  Or move to Canada ;^)

Same argument applies to the veil.

I think the real issue here is the scale of "local culture".  Should
this sort of law be allowed on a national level, or should it be
restricted to state, city, or even narrower scope.  I don't know.  My
gut feeling is the more local the better, but that gets tricky with
global media like TV and the internet.

Don