 Off-Topic / Debate / 23241
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:02:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:

Who said anything about the majority?  I just said "enough people".

Isn't that a majority?

No.  Check out what "Pure Democracy is Evil" has to say about majority
rule.  I love the silly quotes at the bottom.

So I agree that unfettered democracy is evil.  I think what Orion is asking you
is for a definition of "enough people."  I'm curious too.

The minute you show up in *public*, prancing around naked with your
various body piercings flailing about, you impinge upon *my* freedom
to ignore you.

I think there is a degree of behavior that could be called impinging on your
freedom, but simply choosing not to wear as many clothes as you while going
about my perfectly natural business doesn't seem like that.

And don't get me started on the marriage thing.  Marriage is NOT a
right.

Um, I think that every way you can look at it, you're wrong.  Article 16 of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights says you're wrong.  But hey, we in the US
don't give a stinking rat's turd what the UN says, right?  OK, so how about the
fact that marriage is a right in English common law -- the very foundation of
our judicial system?  The normal limitation (and this applies for appropriate
age and other mental capacity issues) on this right is to those with
"sufficient understanding to deal in the common transactions of life."

It's a construct invented by organized religion and supported
by the government, ostensibly to provide some stability for children
in order to safeguard our future.

It almost certainly predates religion.

Demonstrate an equivalent benefit
to society when it's extended to gay couples.

The benefit to society would be the affirmation that homosexuals are people too.
It would help, in the long run, if not immediately, to remove the strife
experienced between homosexuals and the close-minded bigots who oppose their
equal access to the law.  Further, I reject that the governing of marriage and
more specifically, reproduction, actually does provide the benefit you cite.
What do you think, that people would stop raising children with we did away with
the institution of marriage as an object of governance?

Chris