 Off-Topic / Debate / 23234
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 03:46:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:
What if I convince enough people that slavery is wonderful?  Should
we encat a law authorizing slavery?  Or, a little less extreme than
the above example, what if I convince enough people that men wearing
skirts is wonderful?  The point I'm trying to make is that the majority
is not always right.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the
majority is often wrong.

Who said anything about the majority?  I just said "enough people".

Isn't that a majority?

No.  Check out what "Pure Democracy is Evil" has to say about majority
rule.  I love the silly quotes at the bottom.

  http://www.swcp.com/~nmrep/demevil1.htm

The problem with your argument is that it implies all laws are bad
so long as one person disagrees.  Well, if that one person likes to
kill people, you've got a problem.  Without laws you have anarchy.

I'm saying that laws that infringe on one's personal freedom's are wrong.

The Principle of Life Ownership states:
"I own my own life. I can do whatever I want to with it. This is
a right that I take for myself. No one has a right to take my life
away from me— all of it, or any portion of it— without my CONSENT.
No one may diminish the quantity— or the quality— of my life. To be
consistent, I also extend this right to everyone else, because all
people are fundamentally equal. Everyone has the right to his
or her own life." [1]

Basically what this means is that you don't have the right to kill,
rape, or tortue someone because their life does not belong to you
hence why laws against these things are warrented and neccessary.
But public nudity, gay marriage, smoking pot, body piercing, and
pre-marital sex are perfectly fine since these don't take away a
person's ability to live a life of their choosing away from them.

Agreed.  Except for one small detail.  You don't live in a vaccuum.

The minute you show up in *public*, prancing around naked with your
various body piercings flailing about, you impinge upon *my* freedom
to ignore you.

And don't get me started on the marriage thing.  Marriage is NOT a
right.  It's a construct invented by organized religion and supported
by the government, ostensibly to provide some stability for children
in order to safeguard our future.  Demonstrate an equivalent benefit
to society when it's extended to gay couples.  Maybe someday, when
biotech obliterates the difference between male and female...

[1] http://freethought.mbdojo.com/lifeownership.html.  A good article
as long as you can see past the atheistic tone of the article (assuming
you're not an atheist).

I don't know.  That's almost as contrived as the christian ethics
rationale they're trying to outdo.  How about just defining "Good" as
that which increases overall happiness, and "Evil" as that which
increases overall suffering.  Works for me.

Don

(Heh, based on that, the big color change is EVIL!)