 Off-Topic / Debate / 23184
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:03:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
   http://www.canoe.ca/Columnists/sa.html

Ahh Canada, where you can walk around topless, if you’re female and you so choose (k, that’s Ontario only right now, but as yet I have seen no evidence of women excercising that legal right), where you can have on your person under 15 grams of wacky tobacky without it being a capital offence, and where you can get married to someone of the same sex...

Though the last two may not last too long in Martins regime... we shall see what transpires there...

But overall, those wacky Canadians, with their liberal laws and all!!

God love ‘em!

I’m curious. What do you think about the concept of “decency”?

Morality issue, out of bounds for legislators - shouldn’t it be so? Larry?

Laws need to be based on something

   Freedom without respect and responsibility is meaningless.

Would you be kind enough to ellaborate? I seem to recall you advocating some sort of “absolute freedom” concept earlier in o-t.d, but my memory may be failing. It was probably in those never-ending discussions whether your country was “freer” than others.

Of what value is freedom if nobody respects it? We don’t have “absolute freedom” in this country (which is anarchy). If people aren’t willing to respect others freedoms, the concept is moot.

   As an aside, in Europe you probably couldn’t go a block without seeing some marquee or billboard without seeing an advert with a topless model selling something... what is it about North America? It was a breast! And it, so I’m told, for I didn’t TiVo it and do a frame by frame peek-see, had a ‘pastie’ over the nipple!!

You obviously don’t have kids and are trying to raise them to become decent people.

Subjective. How exactly do you link breasts and decency?

In our society, breasts are considered sexual parts (because they are). We tend to be more modest about displaying our sexual parts.

   We’re mammals after all, so pretending breasts aren’t there is kind of bliss, isn’t it?

Don’t follow you there.

   What is it with breasts and children? Don’t breasts exist *primarily* for them?

No. Ask any women who got hers “augmented”.

   Why would a child be shocked to watch a breast on tv if he’s probably already been fed thru one? IMO it’s hypocrytical to ake breasts a “taboo” for children, and then making those the center of teenager boys’ dreams. Come on! Do you honestly think a child gets shocked from watching breasts, or is it from the parents’ overreaction to it?

You are denying the innate sexual response men have to viewing women’s breasts. They aren’t the center of teenager boys’ dreams for nothing.

   My experience from numerous summers tells me kids tend to accept topless women far easier than their parents... who go on and on about how vile “those women” are, but keep peeping.

Because thankfully they haven’t been sexualized by the society yet, or have arrived there on their own in puberty.

   I guess I’ll just go back to my public funded tv and watch breasts in every other commercial. After all, it’s taxpayer-subsidized immorality - I demand my right to it!

Publically funded television-- what a waste of money....

JOHN