 Off-Topic / Debate / 23254
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:07:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:
My contention I that we should do away with marriage laws all together.
Government has no business dictating what does or does not constitute a
marriage.  This dicision is up to the individuals concerned and the life
choice they decide to make.

Ok.  But what do you propose to replace the dependent support systems
tied into those marriage laws you'd like to obliterate?  Take your time
because there's a lot of details that need to be worked out.

Your misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying that I should wake up tomorrow and all
the laws regarding marriage will be stricken from the books.  Just as cutting
off one's arm to stem a minor infection would be bad, so to would
instantainiously wiping out all the marriage laws.  Instead of trying to define
what constitutes a marriage (as our country, the US, seems so intent on doing as
of late), we should be finding ways to support families without defining
marriage.