 Off-Topic / Debate / 23225
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:12:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
Dave, I'm thinking that you are nit-picking by way of purposely failing to read
between the lines.  If I'm wrong, then I must have communicated rather poorly.
If you take a minute to evaluate my notes and your response, and then think that
your inquiry is completely reasonable, I'll address your points.

Hey, don't get all reasonable on me now!

I can cut through my verbosity and sum it up this way:

1.  I dispute the assertion that verbal instruction is generally sufficient to
steer a recalcitrant child away from ultimately self-damaging behavior

2.  I dispute the assertion that physical intervention in a child's behavior is
never justified.

3.  I submit that your construction of the parent/child debt structure is at its
essence arbitrary and designed to yield maximum payoff (i.e., zero debt) for the
child and maximum debt (i.e., zero payoff) for the parent.

Each of these points is supported to varying degrees by the examples provided in
my previous post.  I grant that some of the examples were extreme, but not so
extreme as to be irrelevant to real-world situations.

I didn't intend to be nit-picky, nor do I think your post was poorly worded.
Let's just split the difference and blame DaveK's breasts.  He's a Canadian,
anyway.

Welcome back to .debate, by the way.

Dave!