 Off-Topic / Debate / 23204
Re: Once again, even with all our problems, Canada--a great place to live...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:25:36 GMT

Ack...I’m being seized by old, bad habits.

   So you would be okay with a law that permitted, say, fornication or masterbation in public places?

There shouldn’t need to be a law permitting it...such permission is granted by nature. Only the restriction of such default freedom requires laws.

   I’m fine with the stuff people do in private...

Really?

   Ah, so a brother and sister, or two brothers who decide to marry for convenience is okay with you?

Ayup!

   Don’t go looking to MTV to instill morals and decency into your kids.

lol The very antithesis of morality and decency!

It’s funny that I actually agree with this.

   was asking you to do was to imagine yourself a parent watching the game with your 8 year old son or daughter. You would not be happy. And all of those other TV examples you listed-- yeah, they are ALL inappropriate for children.

Well...I’d by unhappy that we were watching football (isn’t that what we’re talking about?) but not because some tittie was on display. This might shock you, but my wife breastfeeds in front of my son. He sees breasts, literally, every day. And if he wants to see more, we have a fast net connection.

   TV has become completely inappropriate for children to watch (and yet the amount of TV watched by children is at an all-time high!) And I am not even talking about cable!!! Our children are being prematurely sexualized by exposure to inappropriate (for minors) subject matter and I believe it is having damaging consequences to our culture.

Humans are sexual creatures at all ages. Sexuality isn’t some big bad thing to be afraid of. But ignorance is.

   But people seem to think that it is fine to expose 7 year olds to sexually explicit content matter.

Yes, we do. In fact, not only fine, but healthy. And if it’s only happening at age seven, then you’re years and years too late. Sexuality is a normal, happy, healthy, excellent part of humanity. Harm only comes from artificially making it a taboo.

Chris