 Off-Topic / Debate / 23200
Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:45:08 GMT

   Subjective. How exactly do you link breasts and decency?

In our society, breasts are considered sexual parts (because they are). We tend to be more modest about displaying our sexual parts.

Well, they’re sexual parts because we’ve fetishized them to be sexual parts,

Hmmm. I’m thinking of clay Ashtarte fetishes that are 1,000s of years old which are basically a human form with gigantic breasts. Breasts have always been a symbol for sexuality and fertility that is cross-cultural, which leads me to conclude the preoccupation with them is more instinctual. I should go back and reread The Naked Ape.

That piece by Morris has been widely questioned as relying too heavily post-hoc reasoning based on pre-determined gender roles, but I still enjoy a lot of his work.

I don’t doubt that breasts have been long-time symbols of fertility and motherhood, but the so-called “Venus cults” of prehistory are largely products of speculation and presumption. It seems more likely that a figure with 100 breasts is a symbol of nurturing motherhood than of scintillating, hubba-hubba sexuality.

Now that I think of it, I don’t even question that breast fixation is instinctive; a baby knows to suckle without ever having seen Playboy. My view, though, is that the hypersexualization of breasts is overwhelmingly cultural in nature, rather than inherent.

   Even if I concede that breast preoccupation is a result of cultural fetishism, it is the decision of the culture to consider them that way and therefore they are that way. Any behavior to the contrary is not normative for that culture. Perhaps it is different in other cultures, but how is that relevant?

Well, I think it’s important to distinguish between inherent properties and culturally-imposed properties, but you’re right about cultural decisions. Laws (and rights, frankly) are entirely cultural constructs, so there’s nothing inconsistent about saying “Culture A believes X, so Culture X makes a law about X.” Of course, the problem is that not everyone in Culture USA believes the same things (about breasts or otherwise).

   The notion that pre-pubescent children are asexual is a myth.

I would like to see some studies on the subject. I agree that children are curious and partially aware of their sexuality, but I would contend that sexual desires develop in puberty and if they develop sooner, it is a direct result of socialization.

I’m not so sure. I know a transvestite who was aware of his transvestism (and the resultant societal/sexual awkwardness) from the age of four, so he’s one vote for prepubescent awareness of sexual identity. I myself was aware before the age of five that my feelings about Nicole were fundamentally different from my feelings about Brian, so I’m another vote.

It’s also difficult to say that sexual desire develops in puberty, because masturbation doesn’t wait for puberty.

   Publically funded television-- what a waste of money....

Much better to dump vastly more taxpayer money straight into Halliburton’s finances, I suppose?

Come on-- you are above that nonsense, Dave!

8^) I take offense at your assertion that I’m above nonsense. What kind of elitist do you think I am?!?

Anyway, I think the great strength of public television (and radio, more specifically) is that it is to some extent insulated against the forces of the market, which have otherwise produced such fine bastions of objective journalism as FOX, CNN, and MSNBC. That’s not to say that public media are perfect or wholly impartial, but they are less driven to serve the corporate bottom line than corporate-owned media.

Still, some people don’t like their tax dollars funding it, but there are plenty of programs I don’t want my tax dollars to fund, too. Halliburton is just one of them.

Dave!