 Off-Topic / Debate / 23220
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:57:46 GMT

   You can’t reason with a horse.
You can, however, teach a horse.

   You can’t reason with a cat.
You can, however, teach a cat

One can produce a conditioned response if that is what you mean. I’m not sure the horse (or cat) has understood much else?

   A 5 year old, as Larry mentioned, throwing a tantrum, as far as my personal experience goes, is pretty much unreasonable, and will either stop the tantrum when a) energy’s expended or b) brought up short when something catches his or her attention. Again, whack across the face = bad, swat on the heinie maybe not so bad in the situation.

I, and many others, manage by doing neither. How do you explain that? My kids understand they will not benefit from “throwing a tantrum”.

   Violence doens’t have to be physical. So where do you draw the line on the other ‘realms’ of violence--locking the kid in their room for 2 years isn’t physical violence directly against the kid, but it’s still pretty much wrong, imo.

Some would argue that beating a 5 year old is more than just physical cruelty...

Agreed, but I do believe in a ‘Just’ war (another topic :) )

I was tempted to mention the “war”. ;)

Scott A