 Off-Topic / Debate / 23189
Re: Corporal punishment (was rah rah, canada!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:48:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   P.S. As usual, I disagree with everything John Neal asserts, openly or through implication

Careful there, Chris... he’s been seen going around asserting that the sun rises in the east again.

   on this subject.

er, oops. Nevermind.

:-)

Now, a bit more on track, we’re not much on hitting our kids, and we didn’t, much, especially now that both of them are in double digits, it’s no longer appropriate at all, but I’m not totally following why *all* corporal punishment, in any form whatever, is bad.

We have horses. Is it ok to smack one on the rump to get it to move sideways when it’s in crossties and another horse needs to get by and it’s hogging the aisleway by standing diagonally?

You can’t reason with a horse.

You can, however, teach a horse.

That’s a way of getting its attention. The smack leaves no lasting mark, and it does affect the move.

We have cats. Is it ok to squirt one with a water bottle when it sharpens its claws on our leather sofa instead of the scratching post after it has been repeatedly admonished not to do that?

You can’t reason with a cat.

You can, however, teach a cat

That’s a way of getting its attention. The squirt leaves no lasting mark, and it does affect the change in behaviour.

So if my child, say age 5,

You can reason with a child.

A 5 year old, as Larry mentioned, throwing a tantrum, as far as my personal experience goes, is pretty much unreasonable, and will either stop the tantrum when a) energy’s expended or b) brought up short when something catches his or her attention. Again, whack across the face = bad, swat on the heinie maybe not so bad in the situation.

Violence doens’t have to be physical. So where do you draw the line on the other ‘realms’ of violence--locking the kid in their room for 2 years isn’t physical violence directly against the kid, but it’s still pretty much wrong, imo. But time outs? Maybe some child studies professor sometime down the road, a la Dr. Spock, will show that this method can cause ‘irrepairable harm’ to the psyche of the person. So then what?

Parenthood can be very difficult. However, I can’t see how resorting to violence will give a parent anything other than short-term gain and long-term guilt.

Again, stop with the violence.

We’re not talking about violence, and violence comes in many forms, none of which we are discussing right now.

Generally, violence is very seldom the answer to any problem.

Agreed, but I do believe in a ‘Just’ war (another topic :) )

Scott A (who made the mistake of putting “spanking” into a search engine)

   is screaming and throwing a tantrum in a public place for no good reason and it’s not feasible to remove him from the situation but the screaming HAS to stop (stipulate that for the sake of the argument) is a slap or a splash of water not an acceptable way of getting attention to the point where the message to discontinue the bad behaviour will be received?

Horses and cats are chattel. Children are not. But they are, nevertheless, our wards. Disallowing ALL corporal punishment seems to take a communication device away from parents.

As an aside, I was being my usual flamboyant self when I wrote the original post--it wasn’t “Rah Rah Canada!!!” it was more, “eh, neat stuff coming out of this neck of the woods...”

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Dave K