 Off-Topic / Debate / *7131 (-100)
  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I see you point of view, but I still feel a life is a life. Personally, I could never take another life in cold blood - no matter what the reason. The only death I can remember agreeing with was this one: (URL) I was not "happy" with that. Is (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I agree :) (...) The problem here is what is "unjustified" to you may be OK to me - or vise versa. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one too. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Government should protect us from ourselves??? This is an absurd statement in my mind (see my statement about avoiding personal responsibility), but I sense a fundamental disagreement here as to the purpose of government and will agree to (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Scott: Perhaps I can answer this, as I am indeed both a political pro-life supporter, and a death penalty advocate as well. Some charge that it is an inconsistent position - that life is life, and indeed killing is killing. To this charge I (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) This issue aside, I can't agree with this. Goverment should also protect us from ourselves. If one were to decide to take ones own life, one would expect "government" to get involved. (...) Perhaps. However, a man was democratically executed (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

The whole problem of the abortion debate is that it is actually *two* debates intertwined into one. One, whether the government has the right to tell one what one can do with one's body (most would say no), and whether one has the right to take the (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I accept abortion is an issue. Most have opinions on it which at times may be hard to convey due to underlying emotions etc. However, I am always amazed at the importance of the issue in the US. Is there a reason for this? I know it is a (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I'm Pro-Choice, but anti-abortion. How is that for fence sitting? What it means is, that given that my actions could bring a child into the world. I have discussed this with my wife, and said, that given the choice I would choose not to abort (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  BI-partisan bickering reaches new heights in the US?

So now both sides are escalating the "crisis" of the election. Both sides are alleging voter fraud, alleging the process isn't fair, alleging that their party didn't get a fair shake in some districts, threatening that if the other side contests one (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: I missed this ref, it's even better: (URL) that both of these refs were found by typing "abortion" into the search box at the bottom of the front page of the www.lp.org site...) I'm in the 4.9% (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) One must remeber that that when one talks about freedom of choice, it assumes one has a choice. Many in society may not be able to choose a better school for their kids, or heathcare for their family as the lack resourses (not just money) to (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

I too don't want to debate the broad topic of abortion, my own views are unclear to myself at the moment (0). (...) Nope. You certainly did not misinterpret. One of the unofficial slogans of the LP is "we're pro-choice.. on everything!" If you'll (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I don't want to add fuel to a debate over the right to choice either since I'm certain no one's viewpoint will be swayed, but I would like some clarification. Are you thanking James for expressing an opinion with which you agree? If that is (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plowed Ground

John: Thanks for the assist, but I got 44044 results from that search! Happily, I've received another pointer as well, and I think I'll find what I'm looking for through that. Thanks anyway! Dave! (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Just one, but we've got room for illiterate yank hillbillies ;) (so long as they bring their lego sets) Joe from Australia (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I see two fundamental understandings of humanity which are the barriers to understanding the Libertarian perspective (and these really are almost a single fundamental understanding): 1. The understanding that humans are basically good. The (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plowed Ground

(URL) Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:G3s0ut.62v@lugnet.com... (...) it (...) was (...) but (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Uh oh where'd he go? I can't find this other post, though I disagreed strongly when I read it. "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G3rzwM.3H5@lugnet.com... (...) I could have sworn that was one of the current (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Thanks James "James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message news:G3s19p.7CB@lugnet.com... (...) v. Wade (...) this (...) Anyway, I'm (...) abortion- (...) a (...) degree, (...) Thus (...) does (...) body. If (...) indeed be (...) maturity of (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Wrong. (...) Have you looked at their website? (...) You have shown yourself to be unable to answer any of the points I raised. I would have respected you more if you had not answered, rather than wasting my time with this post. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Fair enough. However, I accept the definition of death as the cessation of brain function. That is, life does not exist in a meaningful way where brain function does not exist. Therefore, it follows that life begins with the beginning of brain (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I cringe at the thought of the lengths of a thread encompassing an abortion- debate. I made my abortion comment because I do not want this forum to be a place where "minority" or dissenting viewpoints (such as mine) are not tolerated. For my (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Plowed Ground

(...) Speaking of which, you've mentioned previously that "all rights are property rights" or something to that effect. I won't ask you to rehash it all for me, but do you recall approximately when or in what context that was first discussed here? (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Plowed ground. Every point you marked with "=+=" has already been answered in this very newsgroup, by me or others. I am not going to do your homework for you and provide all the references as I have neither the time nor the interest. Go read (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Right To Exploit (WAS: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer User Agreement)

(...) Yup! The question of circumventing the ambiguities in the LMBOLUA[1] is an amoral issue (not moral, and not immoral, but amoral, meaning not in the realm of morality or immorality) and if you find an obvious loophole in an agreement that you (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Right To Exploit (WAS: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer User Agreement)

(...) I'm guessing that you're reading negative connotations into Todd's statement that he didn't intend. From what I know of Todd (which is only via online communication, primarily on RLT and LUGNET), he meant 'exploit' as 'use', not 'unfairly (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Electoral College

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kyle McDonald writes: <snip? (...) The 2 Senate Votes in Maine do go to the popular vote winner. <snip? (...) I would have to agree with you but for the reason that if they did away with the system it would make the (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Electoral College

(...) Much of this is diccussed in a history of the electoral college at: (URL) is a link there to a .pdf file that is long, but (IMHO) worth reading - Very educational) (...) Yes. Maine is this way, I am still unsure how the two votes that are (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Right To Exploit (WAS: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer User Agreement)

(...) Inviting it? No. Drawing attention to the fact that it is possible? Yes. Would I do it myself? Yes. If I buy the product and the agreement hasn't changed to clarify the confusion, yes, I will construct the actual mosaic with a separate program (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Yes indeed. It would be a terrible shame if women retained sovereignty over their own bodies. (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Electoral College

(...) Well to my understanding much of this is handled at a state level. I know Maine and one other state split votes based on congressional districts. The rest of the states its an all or nothing afair with about half the states binding the (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Electoral College

This will probably turn into a debate... Where are the guidelines of the Electoral College written? I checked the Constitution, and while it mentions a little about each state having representative electors in the same numbers as congressmen, it (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) You're absolutely right! Some of us want that law overturned! ;^ Anyway, I'm not trying to start an abortion debate...only making my voice heard. James (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) The system the way it is set up (winner takes all - I'm refering to virtually all political elections in the U.S.) encourages just two parties, and the blandifying of positions. Say the Green party gains momentum and strips liberal votes away (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) a (...) lol (...) I doubt it results in an "accumulation of personal wealth". Additionally, I'm not yet at the stage where I'm copyrighting brick combinations ;-) (...) NEED (...) I'm not sure what you point is, so I can't answer Larry. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Sorry Larry, Its been so long since I posted, I forgot my netiqutte. Thanks for the reply. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Try here: (URL) view the signature block of the original email, reproduced here for your convenience (from the post of mine that you quoted in its entiriety): (...) ++Lar (who is happy that voters approved 6 of 8 anti drug war proposals: (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Plus as what I have heard from Harry Browne concerning this. It is possible for the president to make presidential orders invloving military, criminals, how the White House and various agencies are run. He could and would free (pardon) all (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can Harry Browne do it?

I voted for the exact same reason. I am sorry to say Harry Browne fared worse this year than he did 4 years ago. however, that is probably due to the closeness of the race, and the fear instilled by the cnadidates, members of the media, of what (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:G3nsGC.IpB@lugnet.com... (...) Unless you go all the way!! (...) the (...) then (...) constitution (...) While I have often thought you might be right, and with the minimal support of (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) I didn't realize they'd heard of "Lego Lar" in Turkey. Wow, he gets around. ;^D ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin -- Mark's Lego Creations (URL) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

Dave Low wrote: Just for being clear, I already share your arguments that I snipped, and I already give some comments in my posts about it, but I have some objections here..:-) (...) Are you sure?..:-) All the non lego people around here (who (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

tut tut Larry, you snipped my message to bits and did not answer my points, who unlike you ;) I like hear you views here: =+= (...) I doubt it. Those at the lower end of society will be further marginalised. =+= and here: =+= (...) "generously" - (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  Re: The Right To Exploit (WAS: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer User Agreement)

(...) Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think most thinking people would consider a lot of the junk in that "license" was unenforcable crap. If I buy one of these Mosaic things I'll display it, take it apart, and/or do whatever I want with (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Ventura 2004!!! :c) Really, though. If he ran, I and the majority of people I've talked to would vote for him. -Jeremiah- (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Right To Exploit (WAS: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer User Agreement)

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in article <G3oFGo.JED@lugnet.com>... (...) it. (...) it, (...) do (...) one (...) alternate (...) Todd, your last statement has an odd ring to it. Perhaps you can elaborate. You are a person who (rightly so) (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Whoo, I agree with Larry. :) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Or to put it another way the election was not about choosing the lesser of 2 evils but the evil of 2 lessers :) Having voted straight libertarian I am today watching the outcome of the presidential race with sheer joy! --Jim (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) It ain't over till the fat lady sings. That is, till the fat and thin blue haired ladies in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties sing. I am geting happier and happier about this outcome, now I hear (in the UK press, but what do they know) (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Well, it's choosing a totally different sort of evil, one could say. :-) But the basic point that a vote for a third party candidate is a thrown away vote is VERY entrenched in certain circles, and it's wrong. It's extremely unfortunate that (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Isn't what you actually mean "I don't have any refutation"? (...) You're right. I choose being a part of society. What about you? I'd say that if we take a survey of your posts here (not a scientific metric!!!) on Lugnet, you're probably going (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I agree. Almost any is too many. But the evidence shows that in places where gun-readiness increases, crime decreases. So I don't agree with your path to improvement. (...) What problem? Some people use them, and they shoot their lives away (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) It's normal language behavior. People call Netscape Navigator "netscape". I even know people who (not so much now, but a few years ago) call Microsoft Word "microsoft". No one says "may I have a kleenex facial tissue". It's natural to treat (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) to (...) As a grad student, I had to occasionally request inter-library loans internationally. It is no problem. (...) But virtually everyone over the age of twelve exhibits enough clue or discipline not to shoot people at random, or for petty (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) You're a little ahead of yourself, it all depends on the recount in Florida, anything can still happen. (...) I thought about that, but Canada isn't MUCH better. I was thinking more Austrailia myself, assuming I didn't put too many i's in it. (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) No problem, since Vancouver would be my final destination...VLC-here I come! ;-) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(snippage of book suggestion, thanks, but I don't think we would have access to a copy here in Newfoundland) (...) Because, just like the NRA says, guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun is as harmless as any other 10 lb object, at least (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) I don't really think so, no. Because to have a total competition vacuum assumes that you're talking about a company that makes boxes full of elements and hands them to kids in a round grey room with absolutely nothing else to do. I guess a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I thought that was pretty clear. I think: 1. Too many people are getting shot. 2. Big drugs problem. 3. Poor welfare system. Are these things related - I think so. Will handing out guns & LSD whilst cutting back education and health make it (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Huh? The argument is circular whether viewed from a cultural relativist standpoint or not. (...) I understand that you're working on very little sleep, but to proclaim someone's lexicon as "illiterate garble" just because it doesn't adhere to (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Low writes: <snip> (...) Very true. Gore *should* have destroied Bush. He made several missteps along the way and I personally think he should have enlisted the help of Clinton more. Just about everyone I know, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) I was quite shocked by some of the liberal commentary on this. The two-party (equals one-party) system is pretty entrenched in Australia too, but no-one goes around saying that a vote for a third party is some sort of "betrayal". If Gore (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) While I agree with you to an extent I wouldn't worry too much in that while the Republican's will have a majority in the House and Senate it is not enough of a majority to do whatever they want. Especially in the Senate the Dem's have enough (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Ah, but you've got to look at the rest of the government right now - Republican Senate and House, and, should Bush win, more Rep judges. That's a big step backwards this country doesn't need. -Jeremiah- (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) I am so _not_ going to get in a cultural relativism argument over grammar and aesthetics. I'm a liberal in principle and a conservative in practice (except for anything from the seventies). (...) Yeah, it's not really a disagreement. I know (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) That really depends on how much of your money that is taken from you actually gets used to "benefit" people. Do you think that any large percentage of 1/3 of your income actually produces results? If so, I have a couple of bridges you might be (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message news:4m7j0t4jiq8pn2s...4ax.com... (...) what (...) You really wanna spend *that* much on LEGO? ;-) <grin, duck, & run> -- Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com (URL) - Centralized LDraw Resources (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) Thank you Matthew. And because I've had two hours sleep in about forty I'll just point out that 1. fast and red are in fact adjectives, hence the first example, and 2. Coke is a trademark and a proper noun (like LEGO) hence the second example. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Let's see, what will the country be like if Gore wins... hmmm.... OK, what will it be like if Bush wins... hmmm.... Oh, heck. I'm heading for Australia *now*, to beat the rush. Steve (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) No it's not. Although there is some difference between Gore and Bush, they're both corporatists, they both want to increase military spending, they both support the death penalty, etc., etc., etc. A vote for Nader is *not* chosing the lesser (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Fair enough, but you must agree that because of that circular reasoning the argument won't convince anyone who doesn't already agree with it. (...) I understand and accept that, but many people identify LEGO as a singular noun in that usage, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) It's wrong, but not for that reason. It's wrong because it's an adjective, and adjectives don't really have plurals. But in popular usuage, it's a noun, and there's no reason for it to not have a regular plural. And people do say "I drank a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) (assuming it's an open question...) Could you ever have a total, _total_ competition vacuum? Because if there's a market, there's kids, and if there's kids there's no vacuum since they can always make up their own games. And if they couldn't (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) My take is that LEGO's trend toward Juniorization would continue with or without market competition, since we have evidence of its roots long before any serious competitor hit the market. LEGO can't blame (not that they do) their own reduced (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Absolutely, which why it's In My Humble Opinion. (...) I would argue (and again, this is entirely the way it works in my fat head)that you, as a LEGO user, would be as wrong (or right) to identify a single brick as "a Lego" as you would be if (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Are they the only thing keeping LEGO from complacency, or are they driving LEGO to juniorise the heck out of everything? If they didn't have to contend with competition, would they be dumbing down their sets, or would they be producing (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Pot shot or not, the comment identifies the problem of the widespread--though not necessarily accurate--perception of the LP as a bunch of far-out right wingers. In my experience, the LP suffers from a vocal minority(?) within its ranks who (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) That's funny. Me too. (...) Except for that crack about 3rd parties, I'm with you. Further, we should initiate impeachment procedings right away. Clinton lied and he had to go through it, so why not whichever of these two boobs wins too? If we (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I need to revise my statement above. The everywhere that I meant is limited mostly to the US. So maybe not quite everywhere, but it's good enough data from my POV. :-) If you're serious, start with _The Great American Gun Debate_ by Don B. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) (URL) I haven't been able to find independent verification of this article, but it seems pretty clear-cut to me! 8^) Dave! FUT off-topic.fun (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) In what way does it seem to you like any of these things are a problem in the US? I mean that seriously. I suspect that I will disagree completely, but I'm really interested in the vision from outside. (...) I don't know. Really. That would be (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Well I don't find myself agreeing with you often Scott but I do on this one. I was actually considering voting for the Libertarian candidate for Senate in Massachusetts because I can't stand the drunken slob, Ted Kennedy, that is our current (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) As an outsider looking in, they read like they will make worse most of the things which I perceive as being problems in the US - Drugs, Gun Ownership and lack of what we in the UK call a welfare state. Further, has anyone asked him how such a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) <snip> (...) Well, swing thru Seattle on your way so I can at least meetcha before you leave. ;^) ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

You put too much importance on politics. I'm encouraged this morning because it looks like four more years of gridlock! The thing Ross Perot taught us was BAD! is the only outcome that can keep us at all safe from ravenous power-hungry politicians (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Parts one and three of this argument only hold true if you decide in advance that they're true. If, as a LEGO user, I identify a single brick as "a Lego," why is it grammatically incorrect to refer to several bricks as "Legos?" Forget about (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Nah. We both know which is better, the one that NEVER sees snow... -Dave (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Prolly. (...) I won't bother to respond to that. ;-} (...) Oui, Except I do like their salad dressing. Is this going to turn into a valley vs. the beach argument? ;-} Peace out. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Yes, but as a candidate running for office, would you spend your war chest in Los Angeles or Des Moines? Chicago or Olympia? My point is that you'd spend your money where there is a greater concentration of people so as to reach a larger (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Yes, in retrospect, it is a little simplistic. (...) No. Things would be too reactive - cute puppies would get all the $$$. Ugly issues like Aids Research etc would be moved town the agenda. (...) That is your perspective, others will differ. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?

(...) I think that is worthy of research. (...) Me too. :-) I'm the proud owner of most of Tarantino's works on laser disc. (...) When you first took in a "cinematic bloodbath" were you shocked, horrified, impressed, etc. more than you are now? As (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Brocaw Brocaw. He's off by now. Hey der (practicing my Canadian), Not sure the smaller states would become irrelevant, they would still get added to the total popular vote. Or the Electoral college could change to an apportioned system like a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Chris wrote:(with snippage) (...) how (...) You _are_ doing that (educating the illiterate). You are _paying_ to do it with your time at another job rather than doing it directly. Don't try to say you are _not_ doing it, because you are. It is just (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reality == fiction?

(...) Actually, I do to. But that "re-phrasing" isn't what he implied before. He suggested that "these" (the concepts under discussion) were jr. high level ideas and that we ought to simply agree with his obvious conclusion. That is a horse of a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) suggests (...) I'd love to see this body of evidence. I would say that of the 2 countries which are freer with weapons (Swiss and Israel), that it is _training_ that makes the difference. It's not the body of people with guns, it is the fact (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) True. I don't dispute this. However a 1/30th of 1% lead is tenuous at best. (...) Perhaps, but that would take an amendment to the Constitution as a best-case scenario. Worst case being a re-write of the COnstitution which I don't believe is (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I'm not fully prepared to defend this stance, since I'm not sure what he means either. However, it might be a reference to the body of evidence that suggests that _everywhere_ that guns become more accesible and free, the armed and violent (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact