 Off-Topic / Debate / 7036
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:32:51 GMT

Chris wrote:(with snippage)
Once again, great!  You may continue to give 1/3 of your salary to those
charaties in our system too.  You do that, and I'll teach illiterate adults • how
to read.  I give time, you give money.  We would be free to make that choice.
But in today's system, since I'm having over 40% of my pay stolen to fund such
charitable causes, I have to work more so that I have enough to pay down my
student/house/car debt, and thus don't have time (anymore) to help illiterate
adults.  Bummer.

You _are_ doing that (educating the illiterate).  You are _paying_ to do it
with your time at another job rather than doing it directly.  Don't try to say
you are _not_ doing it, because you are.  It is just not _directly_ that you
are doing it.

This might freak some of you out, but the reason I want to live in Libertopia,
is so that I can live in a commune unencumbered by our current system.  To
disagree with Larry, communism does work as long as there is a way to inject
and eject members, as long as everyone there is there by choice, and maybe not
on a grand scale.  Though, I've heard the claim that the hopi lived a large
communist society for a thousand years.

:)  That's about where I stand too...I think we probably have a fair amount of
common ground as regards that point.  I just view it as being more of a global
issue than a local one...I don't think that Libertopia will work (yet), just
like I don't think that Marxism(? Ideal communism) will work (yet) either.

I think we need to move more towards free time for more people before we can
manage to move in the direction of freedom.  I want to see a world in which
everyone is _free_ to do what they want.  Not that they _have_ to do anything,
even to survive.  Some people will want to write code to make things work
right, some will want to run powerplants...some will want to paint or produce
plays.  I want a world in which all of this is possible.  Energy is the key to
it...(I want to survive in style!).  The increases of productivity have meant
that more and more people are heading in this direction.  No longer does it
require 1/2 of us to produce enough food for all of us to eat...things like
that will shift the burden to what you _want_ to do rather than what you _must_
to survive.

(I have to go to school now...bbl)
James