 Off-Topic / Debate / 7035
Re: Reality == fiction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:23:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Josh Spaulding writes:

----------------------------
A person who is unable to comprehend irony, and requires instances of satire
to be labeled to facilitate their own understanding, lacks the degree of
interpretive sophistication that I would expect from a High School student.
----------------------------

Fair enough. I agree with the above.

Actually, I do to.  But that "re-phrasing" isn't what he implied before.  He
suggested that "these" (the concepts under discussion) were jr. high level
ideas and that we ought to simply agree with his obvious conclusion.  That is
a horse of a completely different color.

Clearly, some 8 year olds (not even mine, smarter than average that he is)
don't have that sophistication.

Often, smarter <> more emotionally sophisticated.

what, if anything, should be done?

my thinking about what we should do... is: "nothing". This isn't a big
"problem", and there is no "solution" that is better than the problem.

I disagree, but only slightly.  Before this all started, I would have said
"nothing" too.  Now I think the appropriate thing to have done was to start a
dialog about it and help to flesh out some ideas.

So was this entire discussion a waste of time so far? I don't think so. I
hope not. I've learned stuff, I hope other people have too. Is it over? I
don't think so, I think there are still interesting things to discuss.

Oh wait, it sounds like you agree.  It's a big complex issue, and like most
issues, the solution isn't to regulate, but to talk about it.  I would still
urge artists of all kinds to consider their message and potential audience.

Chris