 Off-Topic / Debate / 6940
Re: Reality == fiction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison writes:
My take on this (by the way, I agree w/ Todd's last statement) is that Star
Wars in supposed to be an incredible epic, which it is.  Now, you take
something that's sole purpose is a marketing symbol for the kiddies and
toss it into an epic, you're bound to have problems.

I think that's a great way of summing it up.  Although -- it might not be
quite the case that JJB's _only_ purpose was a marketing symbol.  The main
source of comic relief in Episodes IV-VI was C-3PO, with assorted material
between Han & Chewie, Han & Leia, Han & Luke, and R2-D2 & C-3PO.  With C-3PO
largely out of the picture in TPM, it seems that at least some of the
motivation behind JJB was an attempt at comic relief.  None of the other
characters were strong enough to provide much other than very subtle comic
relief (QGJ & Padme on Tatooine, for example).  IMHO, where Lucas went wrong
in the comic relief department for TPM was putting too much of the burden on
JJB.  And the farting beast at the start of the podrace was just cheap
bathroom humour -- something I had thought was below an SW movie prior to TPM.

--Todd