 Off-Topic / Debate / 6880
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 10:24:22 GMT

Deliberately quoted out of context...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:

Well,I think JarJar should be ground up for pig food.

That's an intolerant viewpoint. I'm sorry, but it is.

JarJar is lame, he's stupid, he's annoying, I'd choose not to associate with
him, but I'm not calling for anyone to be ground up for pig food. Even in a
fantasy context.

And it is NOT in and of itself PC to say that "I don't support anyone being
ground up".

If JarJar commits a crime, he should be punished. If he persists in doing
stupid things, he should suffer the consequences of his actions. If he's too
stupid to feed himself, that's not my problem, and unless I choose to help,
I'm not bound to do anything to help him. If you don't want to associate
with him, don't. But please let evolution take its own course and don't call
for sentient beings to be ground up, thanks.

You have the right to do so of course, on your nickel that is, but doing so
means you'll get the "intolerant" label in my book, and doing so means that
all your art going forward will be judged, by me, anyway, in the context of
whether it promotes hateful and intolerant views, not just on technical merits.

Further, it means that I don't want my kids reading your thoughts, not yet,
anyway, because they're too uncritically accepting of what they read. And
that means I have to take extra steps to ensure they don't. Me. I'm the one
who has to take the steps, and I'm not calling for you to be restrained,
here. But I do have to take those steps anyway, and I can, while supporting
your right to say as you please on your nickel, still dislike that I have to
take those steps and complain about it.

Now, tis as tempest in a teapot here, this is nothing like Mad Hatter, we're
talking about a fantasy character created for base motives, and relatively
mild satire of that character. However, this is a matter of degree, not
kind. I nevertheless don't think it's appropriate. I don't watch much Bugs
Bunny any more either for the same reasons.

Now, do my kids get no exposure to inappropriate violence? Hardly. They play
Super Smash Brothers, for crying out loud... (ask me how I feel about that
purchase by my wife while I wasn't around) And maybe I'm a darn fool for
trying to keep LEGO above the fray. But it *is* (mostly) innocent and
childlike, which is why I like it.

The biggest problem I have with the "PC" movement is that it has gotten so
extreme that it is allowing people to claim that any suggestion that they
should respect others as being "PC".

The biggest problem I have with the PC movement is that it has gotten so
extreme. I'm  smothered in PC-ness at work, and I guess I might be even a
little over-sensitive to it.

Fair enough. But I'm with Frank. Calling for tolerance (while demanding that
the stupid acting suffer the consequences of their stupidity) is NOT PC.
It's just tolerant. I tolerate anything except intolerance.

++Lar