 Off-Topic / Debate / 6889
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:13:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:

I haven't called for ANY sentient beings to be ground up, thanks.

JJ is a portrayal of a fictional sentient being.  One might assume from your
statements of vilification that you would feel that way about real people who
act like JJ.  Now, I'm sure (or hope) you'll say that you don't support that
people who are equally obnoxious should not really be ground up and fed to
pigs, but that is a reasonable extrapolation of your expressed stance.

JarJar isn't a sentient being. He's not subject to evolution.

This point is debateable, depending on your stance on memetics.  I think it's
pretty clear that the construct of Jar-Jar is subject to evolution.  And this
conversation is evidence that he's competing quite nicely.

He's a cgi
construct created to sell toys and toothbrushes and bedsheets.

You say that as if it were a bad thing.  Do you feel differently about Quigon?

He's fictional. Not Real. Make Believe. Exists only in a computer.

He also exists in our minds.  My son, loathe as I am to admit this, really
likes the Jar-Jar character.  Jar-Jar exists in my son's imagination.  We do
TPM-based role-playing using LEGO.  JJ is there.

That's why I have no problem being cruel to JarJar. He's a marketing tool
that is an insult to the intelligence of us all.

Is Quigon?  Or Darth Maul?

If you knew me, you'd know that I'm actually one of the most peaceful,
gentle people in the world.

You said that you like satire even if it's downright mean.

You said that you resent efforts to make the world safe for kids.

You said that Larry's aversion to "humor" depicting violence committed against
those who look or act different is overly PC.

Not raising your fist in violence is not enough to be called peaceful when you
support the propogation of violent ideals.  The enjoyment of cruelty, the
desire for a psychologically unhealthy environment, and the ridicule of a
discomfort toward discriminitory violence, doesn't add up to Mother Teresa in
my opinion.

I don't discriminate against anyone, for any reason.

Unless they're only a CGI construct.

But I have to draw the line at fictional goofball marketing constructs. If
ol' George is going to insult the intelligence of 10 year olds, then I'm
going to feel free to abuse his marketing construct as I see fit.

And then you'll suggest that unknown readers, probably including children,
should check your abusive work out.

<snip rest of ranting>

There go the words of Mr. Peaceful.

In any case, this is pointless, because you'll never let it end. So I'm
going to let it end here.

After calling names and getting the last word, I note.

Chris

For the record, I think that all of my points are totally valid, but I'm not
particularly put out by Jar Jar being ground up for pig food.