 Star Wars / 9726
9725  |  9727
Subject:
Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:57:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:

Aha!  Thanks for writing that!

Uh..no problem.

I feel that while I hate Jar-Jar, I don't
despise him.  (Isn't that a strange contradiction?)

Not in light of how you equated Jar-Jar to sea food and MS.  The only problem
that I had with that note, was that you said the essense of your hate is that
you wanted to limit as much as possible your exposure to those things.  Except
in your last paragraph you indicated tha you wanted an increased exposure to
Jar-jar as long as he was being abused.  Do you want to see lobsters abused?
(Somehow I doubt it.)

Now I know how to say this:  What I hate isn't Jar-Jar per se, but the fact
that a character like Jar-Jar, which I find annoying to the point of being
painful, appeared as a major character in a Star Wars movie.

Except for the degree, I just can't call it painful, I agree completely.

Prior to TPM,
my mental image of what "a Star Wars movie" is did not include characters
like JJB.  Now, after TPM, my mental image of what "a Star Wars movie" is
has been degraded, and I find that very sad.

Me too.

I can not expect Episode II
to be as enjoyable to me as any of Episode IV-VI were.  Perhaps by 2002, I
can mature enough to ignore JJB or not let him bother me.

I think there are other possible positive outcomes.  I think that if you look
at the first three films, you see that Lucas decided to implement certain
changes, that while not harming the story line, would alter the tone of the
films.

ANH was a surprise success.  But it was almost a cliched cowboy movie with the
good guys riding off into the sunset.  I think he wanted to make the next one
so that it could be perceived as more serious.  ESB had a significantly darker
tone.  And it was great.  While ANH was the single largest media influence in
my life, and as such holds a special place in my heart and psyche, I think that
ESB was the best of the four movies so far.  Then Lucas decided it didn't
appeal to the whole gammut of potential consumers, so he made the story for
ROTJ a little happier and more accessible and included more muppets.  Kids did
like the Ewoks whether we did or not.  I think Ewoks made beaucoup bucks.  My
son likes ROTJ best of the first three.

Now we're thinking of TPM and how he might want to alter it for the next film.
I expect JJB to be a character with more depth.  He'll still be goofy and
annoying, but we'll find out that there is a real person inside.

On a side note, was he the only thing abut TPM that degraded the concept of
"Star Wars Movie" in your mind?  I wonder how much of the brunt of anger based
in a whole bunch of stupid stuff in TPM, that one character bears.

If Darth Maul isn't resurrected somehow, I'll be more annoyed about that.  He
was built up so much and then so underused.  And Sebulba was at least as
cornball as Jar-jar was, we just didn't see him as much.  And what about the
Trade Federation reps?  Weren't they annoying?  Maybe not as viscerally, but
they got under my skin more than JJB did, taking the long look anyway.  (I
don't think I would have answered that way, the day I saw it.)

Chris