 Off-Topic / Debate / 6904
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 23:10:22 GMT

Preface: Chris, I don't know you, and so I have no realistic means of
evaluating you, your personality, your values, etc. But you've got some
SERIOUSLY flawed arguments here.

JJ is a portrayal of a fictional sentient being.  One might assume from your
statements of vilification that you would feel that way about real people who
act like JJ.

One certainly might assume this, if one had difficulty differentiating
between fiction and reality. One might also assume that the actor Arnold
Shwarzenegger is actually a fearsome cyborg from the future. And one would
be laughably wrong.

That's why I have no problem being cruel to JarJar. He's a marketing tool
that is an insult to the intelligence of us all.

Is Quigon?  Or Darth Maul?

The clear point is that Jar-Jar creates animousity in many because of his
high-pitched voice, witless jabbering, and omnipresent clumsiness, without
noteworthy redeeming qualities. The animousity does NOT stem from the fact
that, like Qui-gon and Darth Maul, Jar-Jar is fictional. Most Of TPM's
audience (though you suggest an exception) are aware that they are watching
a work of fiction - a two hour lie - and they do not feel betrayed by it.
But when they are presented with a level of humor (embodied by Jar Jar) that
seems insulting to the intelligence of adult and child alike, their
experience of the movie becomes vexing. Perhaps you feel similarly about the
comic in question. I don't really care. Your sense of humor / threshold of
offence are not an issue for me.

I don't discriminate against anyone, for any reason.

Unless they're only a CGI construct.

Well, that's hardly discriminating against someone, then, is it?

Again: Digital representation of toy image of CGI construct of fictional
lifeform from fictional planet =/= (does not equal) real person.

If you don't like the comic, that's your opinion, and you're as welcome to
express it as the author is to express his. If you don't want your kids
exposed to it, then I commend your parental diligence. I'm just a little
concerned about your confusion of fiction and reality, and your projection
of that confusion onto the author of the comic.

Josh Spaulding