 Off-Topic / Debate / 7136
Re: Reality == fiction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:23:05 GMT

Actually, I do to.  But that "re-phrasing" isn't what he implied before.  He
suggested that "these" (the concepts under discussion) were jr. high level
ideas and that we ought to simply agree with his obvious conclusion.  That is
a horse of a completely different color.

If you'll go back to my original post
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6990 ,
you'll see that I was reacting to Larry's statement:

what I WOULD ask is that when people post
things that might take a little analysis...that they consider
suggesting that it's satire and not an advocacy, just to be clear...

Since satire and irony are such powerful, long-standing staples of our
cultural dialogue, I rejected Larry's statement, and asked him to consider
that an explainatory preface would sap the power and wit of an ironic statement.

I provided a classic example of an ironic essay which is often used in High
School or Junior High English classes.

Since I expect older teens to have a firm grasp of this, I certainly expect
it from the majority of users of a site that favors an audience of adult
hobbyists.

I expressed this expectation with the following plea:

These are High School (Junior High) level questions, people.
Let's show some perception and get beyond them.

By "these issues" I referred to the ability to distinguish literal vs.
ironic presentation of ideas. I think that was clear.

Granted, High School level is not neccessarily the key gauge in this
discussion. Larry's statement was geared toward Protecting the Children more
than reassuring the imperceptive, but if our only means of Protection is to
ruin something for the majority of the audience, I feel it's not a good option.

Josh